Please examine carefully the account when Paul founded the Ephesian church.
Acts 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth,
Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and
finding certain disciples,
Acts 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
* Notice that "believers" did not yet have the Holy Ghost. *
Acts 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
* Notice that Paul questioned the validity of their baptism. *
Acts 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of
repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him
which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
Acts 19:5 When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
* Notice that they were re-baptised the Christian way. *
Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
* Notice that when they did receive the Holy Ghost that they spoke in tongues just like every other real Christian. *
Acts 19:7 And all the men were about twelve.
Acts 19:8 And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the
space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning
the kingdom of God.
Acts 19:9 But when divers were hardened, and believed not, but spake evil of that way before the multitude, he departed from them, and separated the disciples, disputing daily in the school of one Tyrannus.
* They had those even back then who opposed the Acts 2:38 message. *
Acts 19:10 And this continued by the space of two years; so that all they which dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks.
* Notice that Paul was preaching the word of the Lord Jesus. *
* Notice also the instructions Paul gave for dealing with any who would preach otherwise. *
Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
* Notice the plan of salvation for as many as "our God" (Jesus) shall call. *
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Rev. Steve Winter
Return to Bible Study Menu